Tuesday, June 1, 2010

a borrowed vessel

There is no frigate like a book 
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page 
Of prancing poetry.
-Emily Dickinson-

One of life's simple pleasures is a visit to the public library - the smell of yellowing books, the quiet whisper of pages turning, old and young alike absorbed in the Great Story, their bodies sinking into chairs in an act of surrender.  Today I am looking for one work in particular, that being F. Scott Fitzgerald's renown tale of love and the American Dream.  Today I will stand in line waiting for the beep of the librarian scanning my membership card.  I will tell her thank you as she gives me fourteen days to get lost in the Roaring Twenties, the era of The Great Gatsby.  Flapper skirts and economic prosperity - this will be my world until I return my treasure or extend the vacation another two weeks.  As I let my heart and mind set sail on a borrowed vessel, I know I am bound for deeper waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment