Tuesday, May 18, 2010

adventures in verse, part 1

Night is Over, an original poem

Before I saw the sun, I listened to its stories
And painted best I could imagined rays
That illuminated dreaming.
I read of how the Great Light sank slowly into evening
And wept as Mary for a sleeping Lazarus
For days that would never be.
In sorrow, I did not go on
But put down the page and forgot
As the earth was swallowed up by night.
The darkness turned my hope to horror
And where I trusted grew choking thorns.
At last my eyes succumbed to fitful sleep.
I woke in seasons, not at once, to touch-
A warmth that started in my cheeks and spread
Did not leave but stayed to dwell beneath my skin.
Finally opened eyes turned up to find the spring
And soft light fell on the story's end.
The sun that I feared dead had climbed the stars;
My life lived underground now lost in golden seas.
Though mourning still his evening absence,
Each morning Love comes forth to sing.





No comments:

Post a Comment