Saturday, May 22, 2010

you will know a tree by its fruit

Some days are like big, bright oranges.  I tasted one yesterday, which from start to finish was sweet and wonderful, perfectly ripe, and a signal that a terrific summer is about to unfold.  And if yesterday were an orange, then we didn't leave a single ounce to waste!


The recipe for such a lovely day was nothing out of the ordinary.  It started with a slow morning, drinking coffee and reading the news from under my comforter.  It's the best way to wake up.  By the time you leave to face the world, you're ready for it. I decided I was ready for action, and went for a quick run through the canyon which has never stopped being beautiful no matter how many times I pass through it.  

A visit with Meghan and Susan to the outlet mall (and my favorite store) yielded three great finds, including a dress for the summer wedding season.  We braved the unknown and tried a restaurant we had never been to- the Root Cellar Cafe - downtown.  After somehow choosing from the impressive menu (that had me wanting breakfast, lunch, AND dinner) we enjoyed our black bean burger, our homemade quiche, and our spinach alfredo.  And as you do with great friends, we sat around the table long after the last bite was eaten, talking about everything and lingering in the richness of the afternoon.  (Or were we too full to move? I'm not sure which...)

The evening brought me to Fiesta Lanes for RCA's first bowling night.  Despite the fact that I'm a lousy bowler and look clownish in those rented shoes, I had a ball (and not just the hot pink, swirly 8-pound variety.)  A great turnout of RCA family and friends plus some good old-fashioned guy-girl competition made for a huge success.  Hats off to Meghan with an impressive 134 and Bryan with a whopping 210.  We filled the bowling alley with the real, unadulterated laughter that comes from genuine joy.  

The day subsided with an evening outside.  The boys fired up the grill for a late dinner of ribs, roasted corn, and such.  And though we questioned how ribs could take nearly 2 hours to cook, I didn't mind one bit.  I looked around me and saw beautiful people I love dearly, who bring out the best in me, who have allowed me to look at the life I've built here and say, like a big, bright orange, that I want to savor every bite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment